- ¼ c. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, or ½ butter & ½ butter
- 8 oz. coarsely chopped, well washed leeks (white part only) (about 2 c.)
- 4 oz. coarsely chopped onions
- 3 oz. grated carrots (about 1 c.)
- 1 sm. garlic clove, cut into several pieces
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1½ lb. butternut squash, split & seeded, then cut surface rubbed with a little butter
- 1 lb. trimmed zucchini, cut into lg. rings
- 5 c. rich chicken stock
- Generous ¼ tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- Scant ¼ tsp. ground coriander
- Yogurt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt butter in a large, deep pot with a lid and add leeks, onions, carrots and garlic.
- Toss well, then sprinkle sugar over all and cover tightly. Sweat over the lowest possible heat for 20 minutes. Do not allow to burn.
- Place butternut squash in a foil lined pie pan and bake until fork-tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- When the vegetables in the pot are cooked, add zucchini and 2 cups of the stock plus the white pepper, salt and coriander. Cook uncovered over medium heat until zucchini is very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables and liquid to a food processor. Scoop out the pulp of the squash, making sure you get it all and add to processor mixture.
- Puree everything together and return to pot. Stir in the balance of the stock and heat. Correct seasoning if necessary.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt on top of each serving, if desired.