Asian Watermelon Salad
Author: Food Network Kitchen
- ⅓ cup peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 small shallots (1 thinly sliced, 1 finely chopped)
- Kosher salt
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 2 -inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 red jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 cups chopped seedless watermelon
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons cocktail peanuts, roughly chopped
- Heat the peanut oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F. Add the sliced shallot and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; season with salt.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of the frying oil, the chopped shallot, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and jalapeno in a large bowl. Add the watermelon and toss to combine. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Add the cilantro, basil, mint and 2 tablespoons peanuts to the salad and season with salt; toss to combine. Top with the remaining 1 tablespoon peanuts and the fried shallot.