Autumn Potato Gratin
- 4 medium yellow-flesh potatoes, unpeeled and thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, halved and seeded and thinly sliced crosswise
- ½ cup thinly sliced leek (1 large)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh sage
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces Fontina cheese, freshly grated (about 2 cups)
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 3-quart baking dish or gratin dish. Layer half each of the sliced potatoes, butternut squash, and leeks in prepared dish. Sprinkle with half each of the sage, garlic, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Sprinkle with half the cheese and repeat layers. Pour the heavy whipping cream over the top. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake, covered, for about 80 minutes. Uncover and bake for about 30 more minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork and top is golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes.