Baked Pumpkin Ginger Soup
Author: Maria the Baseball Mom
Recipe type: Pumpkin
- 1- 4 pound pumpkin
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Slice pumpkin into quarters Scoop out seeds and place cut-side up in roasting pan.
- Drop ½ tbsp of butter into each pumpkin quarter.
- Scatter sliced onions, fresh ginger and garlic cloves around pumpkin.
- Pour about 1 cup stock into pan.
- Cover pan tightly with foil and bake for about 45 minutes, until pumpkin is soft.
- Remove pan from oven and allow let cool slightly. Pour stock-moistened vegetables (with stock) into stockpot on top of stove.
- Scoop pumpkin from shell into pot and add remaining 5 cups of stock and bay leaf.
- Sprinkle all with dry mustard and ground ginger.
- Bring to simmer over medium heat.
- Simmer on low for 5 minutes.
- To Serve: Pour into bowls & garnish with dollop of creme fraiche & chopped cilantro.
- This soup makes a stunning starter to any of your full dinners, including Thanksgiving dinner of roast turkey.