Butternut Squash and Barley Risotto
- 2½ cups low sodium vegetable broth or 2½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup butternut squash, diced into small pieces
- ⅓ cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped or ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (the shaker kind is fine)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Heat oil in a medium sized pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until tender.
- Add squash and sauté for another 3 minutes. Add barley and stir for 2 more minutes.
- Add ½ cup of the boiled broth, and chopped sage. Simmer, stirring often until broth is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining broth slowly, about ⅓ cup at a time, allowing it to be absorbed each time.
- Cook barley until tender but still firm, about 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.