Butternut Squash Au Gratin
- 2 lbs. butternut squash
- 1 med. onion, finely chopped (about 1 c.)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- ¾ c. milk
- ¾ c. finely shredded Swiss cheese
- Peel outer skin of squash with peeler or knife. Discard skin. Halve squash lengthwise and cut into thin slices.
- Place slices in bowl with onion, salt, pepper and melted butter. Toss well.
- Spoon mixture into buttered 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake, covered, at 375˚F for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs, milk and cheese. Remove cover from baking dish and pour cheese mixture evenly over squash. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.