Butternut Squash Bread Pudding
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for the baking dish
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 ½ pounds butternut squash (about half a medium squash) – peeled, seeded and cut into ½ inch pieces
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage
- 6 large eggs
- 2 c. whole milk
- ¼ pound soft French bread or Italian bread (I like sourdough as well), cut into 1 inch pieces (about 7 ½ cups)
- ½ pound Gruyere, grated (2 Cups)
- Heat Oven to 375 degrees. Oil a 2 ½ to 3 qt baking dish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the squash, season with ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper, and cook, tossing frequently, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Stir in the sage. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and ¼ tsp each salt and pepper. Add the bread, cheese and squash mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish and bake until golden brown and set, 55 to 60 minutes.