Butternut Squash & Cheddar Gratin
- ¾ cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs) or coarse dry bread crumbs
- 1¾ cups (7 ounces) shredded Medium Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon Butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups sliced onions
- 1½ teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 cups (approx 2 ½ pounds) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into ½ – inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 2 quart (7 x 11 inch) baking dish.
- In a small bowl combine bread crumbs, ¾ cup cheese and melted butter. Set aside.
- In a medium frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add onions, ½ teaspoon salt, thyme and black pepper. Cook about 15 minutes until onions are lightly browned. Stir in garlic and cook another minute.
- Spread mixture evenly in the prepared baking dish. Set aside frying pan for later use.
- In a medium bowl toss squash with flour to evenly coat. Stir in remaining teaspoon of salt, parsley and remaining cup of cheese. Spread squash mixture evenly over onions.
- Set frying pan over low heat and add chicken stock to deglaze, scraping brown bits from bottom of pan, about 2 minutes. Pour over squash mixture. Cover with lightly buttered foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, top with cheese mixture and bake an additional 25 minutes, until bubbly and top is lightly browned. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.