BUTTERNUT TOTS WITH SPICY MAPLE MUSTARD
- 1 lb. butternut squash (about ½ of a medium squash), cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- ½ medium onion, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- ½ tbsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- For the Spicy Maple Mustard
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2-3 tsp. sriracha (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss butternut squash cubes with ½ tablespoon of olive oil and arrange in an even layer on baking sheet.
- Bake until piercable with a fork, but still pretty firm, 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Place butternut squash into food processor bowl with onion, garlic, panko, chickpea flour, paprika, salt and pepper. Pulse until ingredients are well blended, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Roll into tot-shaped cylinders.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and place over medium heat. Working in batches if needed, arrange tots in an even layer in skillet. Cook until browned on bottoms, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on opposite sides, about 4 minutes more. Remove from heat and sprinkle with salt, if desired.
- Make the Spicy Maple Mustard
- Stir all ingredients together in small bowl.