Buttternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 pound), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock, skimmed of fat
- 1½ cups nonfat milk
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¾ teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated (about 1 cup)
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Olive-oil, cooking spray
- ½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine squash, stock, and milk in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium; simmer until squash is tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Mash contents of saucepan; stir in nutmeg, cayenne, and salt, and season with black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles; cook until al dente according to package instructions, about 8 minutes.
- Drain, and transfer to a large bowl; stir in squash mixture, cheddar, ricotta, and 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Lightly coat a 9-inch square baking dish (4 inches deep) with cooking spray. Transfer noodle mixture to dish.
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan, and oil; sprinkle evenly over noodle mixture.
- Cover with foil, and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil, and continue baking until lightly browned and crisp on top, 30 to 40 minutes more. Serve immediately.