Creamy Pumpkin Pie with Cranberry Topping
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups solidly packed pumpkin mash
- ¾ cup light cream
- 9-inch pie crust
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 16-ounce can whole-berry cranberry sauce
- Heat the oven to 375º F. Using an electric mixer, blend the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl to further soften it. Beat in the white sugar and the brown sugar, then beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla extract, spices, salt, pumpkin, and cream, and blend the filling on a low speed until it is smooth.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell and bake the pie on the center rack for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350º and continue baking until the pie puffs slightly around the edges and the center is no longer soupy, about another 20 minutes. Remove it from the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Cover the pie and refrigerate it for at least 4 hours.
- To prepare the topping, blend the orange juice and cornstarch in a small saucepan until smooth. Stir in the cranberry sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring all the while. Let the filling boil for 1 minute, then remove it from the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour 1½ cups of the topping over the pie and smooth it up to the edges with a spoon. Pour the rest of the topping into a serving bowl. Chill the pie for 15 minutes before serving, and set out the remaining topping for those who prefer an extra-tart flavor.