Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onion(s), quartered
- 29 oz fat-free chicken broth
- 1½ tsp curry powder
- ⅛ tsp table salt, or to taste
- ⅛ tsp black pepper, or to taste
- ¼ cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 medium scallion(s), thinly sliced, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425˚F
- Place squash and onion in a large baking dish. Pour in chicken broth and bake, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. (Don’t worry if some of the pieces get a bit browned — this will add to the roasted flavor of the soup.)
- Remove from oven. Let cool about 15 minutes. Puree in batches in blender or food processor.
- Toast curry powder in a small skillet over low heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes (be careful not to burn it). Stir into pureed soup. Season to taste and divide into six bowls (yields about a ¾ cup per serving); top each bowl with 1 tablespoon of sour cream.