Kale Salad with Butternut Squash and Almonds
- 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ medium shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups ½-inch cubed butternut squash
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, cut into ½-inch wide ribbons (about 5 cups)
- ¾ cup whole almonds, toasted, coarsely chopped
- Parmesan (for shaving)
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with foil. Whisk 5 Tbsp. oil, vinegar, shallot, and Dijon mustard in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside. Combine squash and 2 Tbsp. oil in a medium bowl and toss to combine; season with salt and pepper. Transfer squash to prepared baking sheet and roast, turning occasionally, until squash is tender and lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add kale and cook, tossing frequently, until bright green and slightly wilted, 1–2 minutes. Remove from heat; add 3–4 Tbsp. dressing and toss to coat. Transfer kale to a baking sheet and cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add reserved squash and almonds to kale; toss well and season with pepper. Divide among bowls; drizzle with more dressing, if desired. Using a vegetable peeler, shave Parmesan over.