Pumpkin Cake with Brown Butter Icing
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Pumpkin Puree
- ½ cup warm (110 degrees) milk
- Brown Butter Icing
- Caramelized Walnut Halves
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-2-inch round cake pan. Line pan with parchment, and butter the parchment. Coat pan with flour, and tap out any excess.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, and beat until combined. Add pumpkin puree and milk; beat until combined. Add reserved flour mixture; beat on low speed until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool. Let cake rest 20 minutes.
- Unmold cake. Using an offset spatula, spread icing over top of cake, and decorate with caramelized walnut halves.