Serves Makes 5 cups.Use this puree when canned pumpkin is called for. It can be frozen for up to 6 months. Or refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- 2- 3½ lb pie pumpkins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cut pumpkins in 5 in x5 in pieces. Remove seeds and strings. Arrange pieces in single layer, skin side up, in foil lined baking pan.
- Bake, covered, 1 hour or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop pulp from rind. Place pulp in blender or food processor.
- Cover and blend or process until smooth. Transfer into freezer bags.
- I like to put the entire pumpkin in the oven before cutting it, makes cutting much, much easier. Start with 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees. Depending on size of pumpkin, when flesh softens slightly, remove from oven, let cool a bit then cut, seed and foll