Roasted Squash Salad with Bacon and Pumpkin Seeds
- 4 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- Cooking spray
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 bacon slice
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 10 cups gourmet salad greens (about 10 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted pumpkinseed kernels, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Arrange squash in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Coat squash with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until squash is tender and lightly browned, stirring after 15 minutes. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Combine remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, vinegar, and mustard.
- Cook bacon in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in pan.
- Crumble bacon; set aside. Add shallot to drippings in pan; sauté 1 minute. Add shallot and bacon to vinegar mixture, stirring with a whisk.
- Place salad greens in a large bowl. Drizzle vinegar mixture over greens; toss gently to coat.
- Arrange about 1⅓ cups salad on each of 6 plates. Top each serving with ⅔ cup squash and 1½ teaspoons pumpkinseed kernels.