Sausage and Peppers Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Boats
- 1 (4 pound) spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound Italian sausage (spicy or sweet), removed from casing
- 2 cups sliced bell pepper
- 1 cup diced onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 (24 ounce) jar tomato/spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
- Place whole spaghetti squash in the microwave for 5 minutes. This helps slightly soften the squash so it’s easier to cut open.
- Remove from the microwave and carefully cut in half, length wise. Scoop out the seeds and pulp from the middle.
- Drizzle each half with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season liberally with kosher salt and pepper.
- Roast for 1 hour or until the flesh of the squash will shred when scraped with a fork.
- While the squash is cooking make the sauce that will stuffed the squash.
- In a large skillet set over medium high heat add sausage and break up while you stir. If the pan gets too dry simply drizzle in a little olive oil so the sausage does not stick to the bottom or burn.
- Once the sausage is lightly browned add in peppers and onions. Continue cooking until the sausage is fully browned and the vegetables are soft.
- Add in garlic and Italian spice. Cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in tomato sauce and simmer while the squash cooks. You are looking for a little of the water in the sauce to simmer away leaving a nice thick sauce.
- Once the squash is fully cooked remove from the oven and carefully scrape and fluff the flesh until fully shredded. Lightly press down into the squash half and fill each squash half with half the sausage/sauce mixture.
- Top with cheese and place under the broiler for about 15 minutes to melt and brown the cheese.
- Scoop out of the squash and serve. A 4 pound squash should give you enough for 4 servings, 2 servings per squash.