Savory Butternut Squash Dressing
Serves 8½ cups servings.
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 cups chicken stock or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed
- 1 1½-lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut in ½-inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1½ cups half-and-half or light cream
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1½ cups turkey or chicken stock or reduced-sodium broth
- 8 eggs
- 8 cups dried sourdough bread cubes
- In bowl whisk together half-and-half, eggs, and 1½ cups stock. Stir in cooked rice, squash, dried cranberries, sage, and bread cubes.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Return Dutch oven to medium heat. Add remaining butter, squash, and thyme. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Add onion and celery. Cook and stir 3 minutes more. Sprinkle salt and pepper; set aside.
- In Dutch oven, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. Add shallots. Cook 1 minute. Add fresh cranberries; cook for 1 minute more.
- Add 2 cups chicken stock, the rice, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer to shallow 3-quart casserole dish. Bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake for 30 minutes more or until golden.