Spaghetti Squash With Vegetables & Mozzarella
This recipe makes a veggie rich, cheesy casserole, almost like a lasagna. Spaghetti Squash subsitutes for the role traditionally taken by pasta in such dishes for a delicious, lower calorie alternative.
- 1 spaghetti squash, cooked by your favorite method and separated into strands
- 1 lg. yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. basil
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 C grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ C grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F. Mix the cheese together, set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add the onion, pepper and garlic. Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, basil, and crushed red pepper (if using). Simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Mix squash well with the cooked vegetables and put half in the bottom of a large (13 x 9 inch) baking dish. Top with half the cheese mixture, followed by the other half of the squash mixture, then the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned. Let cool 10-15 minutes before serving.