Spaghetti with Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 2-lb. butternut squash, peeled and cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 bulb garlic, separated in cloves and peeled (halve large cloves)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 14-to 16-oz. pkg. dried multigrain, whole wheat, or regular spaghetti
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- ½ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg or ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ⅓ cup shredded pecorino cheese
- Sliced green onions (optional)
- Heat oven to 425˚F. In 15X10X1-inch baking pan toss together squash, peeled garlic cloves, oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Evenly spread squash in pan. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until squash is tender and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti, with 1 tablespoon salt added to water, according to package directions. Drain; keep warm.
- In small saucepan heat butter over medium heat until it turns the color of light brown sugar, stirring frequently.
- In serving bowl toss spaghetti with about half the browned butter. Toss squash, garlic, bacon, nuts, and nutmeg with remaining browned butter. Serve squash mixture over spaghetti. Sprinkle with cheese and onions.