Spicy Skewered Shrimp with Grilled Watermelon
*If you don’t have metal skewers, use wooden ones that have been soaked in water for 1 hour.
Author: Celia Barbour – “O” Magazine
- 2 tablespoons hot paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ pounds large shrimp , peeled and deveined (about 36 shrimp)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ seedless watermelon , cut into quarters, then sliced into 1-inch-thick wedges
- ½ cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine paprika, cayenne and salt. Add shrimp and toss until well coated. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Divide shrimp among skewers, about 3 to each skewer. Brush with olive oil and grill 3 to 4 minutes each side, until pink and opaque.
- Sprinkle one side of each watermelon wedge with sugar and place on the grill, sweetened side down, until sugar caramelizes, about 3 minutes (do not flip). Remove from grill. Top with skewered shrimp before serving.