Stuffed Butternut Squash
- 2 small butternut squash (cut in half length-wise and seeded)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp olive oil
- ½ small onion, chopped
- ½ pound ground lean beef (or ground skinless turkey)
- ½ cup drained canned diced tomatoes with basil and oregano
- 1 dried mission fig, stem removed, finely chopped
- ¼ cup frozen peas
- Optional: I also add mushrooms and shredded zucchini for extra veggies
- Preheat oven to 450˚F. Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the cut sides of squash with ⅛ teaspoon each of salt and pepper (or more, if desired).
- Place the squash, cut side down, in the pan and roast until tender, about 40-45 minutes.
- While squash is cooking, heat the oil in a nonstick skillet. Add the onion and cook until tender. Add the beef and cook until browned.
- Add tomatoes and fig (and any other veggies), and remaining salt and pepper and cook until liquid evaporates.
- Add the peas and cook until hot. Turn the squash cut side up and spoon the filling into each cavity.
- Top with a little mozzarella and/or parmesan cheese and place back in oven for 3-5 minutes or until melted. Enjoy!