Toasted Jalapeno Tomatillo and Watermelon Salsa
- 8 to 10 medium tomatillos, peel off parchment-like coating and rinse
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 jalapeno peppers or to taste, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons mild chili powder
- 1 cup tomato sauce or puree
- 1 cup seeded watermelon chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the tomatillos into quarters.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy sauté pan over medium high heat and in it sauté the onions for a few minutes and then add the tomatillos, garlic, and jalapenos.
- Sauté until the onions and garlic begin to brown.
- Reduce heat to low and sprinkle the cumin and chili powder over the pan.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat. Cool
- Place in a blender or food processor with the watermelon and puree.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste