Watermelon and Lime-Steak Salad with Roasted Corn Vinaigrette
- For the steak and marinade:
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice (2-3 limes)
- 1 orange, juiced
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced (or the jarred kind. let’s be real.)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup oil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds flank steak or top sirloin (or your favorite steak)
- For the Corn Vinaigrette:
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (cut off the cob is best, but frozen will work), divided
- ½ cup vegetable broth*
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (1 large lime)
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, packed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- For the salad:
- 5-ounce bag of spring greens
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved (2 cups)
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups watermelon, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 6 ounces bleu cheese, crumbled
- First prepare the steak marinade. In a large ziplock bag, squish together lime juice, orange juice, garlic, vinegar, oil, pepper, and salt. Add the steak and turn to coat. Let sit in the fridge for at least a half hour, the longer the better.
- Then make the dressing. Heat a heavy dry skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add 3 cups of corn. Stir frequently until the corn has started to brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a food processor or blender, combine 1 cup of the roasted corn and all the rest of the vinaigrette ingredients. (Reserve the remaining corn) Blend until smooth. Pour into a jar and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, add the spring greens, chopped romaine, tomatoes, red onion, watermelon, and most of the bleu cheese (reserve some to top each serving). Toss to combine.
- Heat your grill to medium-high. Remove the steak from the marinade and season both sides with salt and pepper. (discard marinade) Grill for about 5-7 minutes per side. This really depends on the thickness of your steak. Here’s a good steak guide.
- Let the steak rest for 10 minutes, then slice into thin strips against the grain.
- Toss the steak with the salad. Dress with as much or as little of the corn vinaigrette as you want, or let people dress their own servings. Top with the remaining bleu cheese.