Watermelon Apricot Barbecue Sauce
A Fresh Twist for Pork, Fish or Fowl This barbecue sauce, with an Asian influence, is particularly tasty on shrimp, pork and fowl. Baste your food with the sauce just before it comes off the grill to prevent burning on the outside. Serve extra sauce on the side and top with minced watermelon. Also makes a wonderful glaze for roasted ham.Serves up about 4 cups.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger or 1 teaspoon powdered
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 10 ounces apricot all fruit preserves
- ⅓ cup extra dry vermouth
- 1 cup watermelon puree
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, or to taste
- 1 cup minced watermelon
- Heat the oil in a 3-quart non-corrosive saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is soft and golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add the ginger and sesame seeds and sauté another minute.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a simmer and adjust heat to maintain a slow simmer and simmer gently for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.