Watermelon Glazed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Bottle of cooking spray
- 1 cup watermelon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons rum extract
- Dash salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds orange-fleshed sweet potatoes
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a low-flat baking dish (such as 11″ X 8″) with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Bring watermelon to a gentle boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until liquid is reduced to 1 /2 cup. Remove from heat. Add butter and sugar and stir until melted and thoroughly blended. Add rum extract and salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes. Peel if desired, although not necessary. Cut into large fries, approximately 4″ X 1″. Toss with watermelon glaze and pour into the baking dish. Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until softened, but still firm. Toss with glaze several times during the baking process. Remove from oven. Toss again to coat potatoes with remaining glaze.