Watermelon Pad Thai
- 8 ounces flat rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 pound cleaned medium shrimp
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaf
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- ⅛ cup catsup
- 1 cup seedless watermelon puree*
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts
- Place the noodles in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to stand, nudging them apart with a fork, until tender. About 10 to 15 minutes. Drain. Heat the oil in a large heavy sauté pan or wok over medium high heat. Sauté the garlic and ginger for 60 seconds and add the shrimp. Stir fry, while adding the soy sauce, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the noodles and stir fry another minute or two and stir in the sprouts, cilantro leaf and scallions. Mix the catsup into the watermelon and stir into the pan with the sesame oil. Cook until hot, sprinkle with the chopped peanuts and serve immediately.
- *To make the watermelon puree, remove seeds from fresh watermelon and cut into large chunks. Place in a blender and process until smooth and well pureed.