Watermelon Pomegranate Sangria
Serves: 12 1 cup servings
- 2½ cups watermelon liquid (to make 18 “ice” cubes)
- 1 medium orange, ends cut off and sliced thin
- 4 cups watermelon chunks (approximately 1″ cubes)
- ½ cup brandy
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1 bottle of red wine, chilled (a fruity wine, such as shiraz or merlot works well)
- 1½ cups Orangina or orange Italian soda
- Fill ice cube trays with watermelon juice and freeze.
- Place orange slices, watermelon, and brandy in medium sized bowl, toss gently, and let stand for 15 minutes to allow fruit to soak up some of the brandy flavors.
- In a large pitcher, add fruit mixture, pomegranate juice, and wine. Refrigerate for one hour or longer to allow flavors to blend. Just before serving, add the Orangina or Italian soda. Serve over watermelon ice cubes.