Butternut Squash Gratin w/Goat Cheese, Hazelnuts
- 3½ pounds butternut squash (about 2 medium), peeled, seeded, cut into ¾-to 1-inch cubes (8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter, divided
- 3 cups sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 1½ teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 5.5-ounce log soft fresh goat cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup hazelnuts, toasted, husked, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place butternut squash cubes and olive oil in large bowl; sprinkle with coarse kosher salt and ground pepper and toss to coat.
- Spread out squash cubes on large rimmed baking sheet. Roast until just tender and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add sliced leeks and chopped sage; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Saute until tender brown, about 15 minutes. Coat 11X7-inch baking dish with remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Spread half of leek mixture over bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with half of squash and half of cheese. Repeat layering with leeks, squash, and cheese.