Butternut Squash & Shrimp Bisque
- ½ stick butter
- 1 c. diced onion
- ¼ c. plain flour
- 3 c. chicken stock
- 3 c. peeled & diced butternut squash
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 can cream of chicken or celery soup
- 1 c. whipping cream
- 1 lb. sm. peeled, uncooked shrimp
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan, over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and cook until transparent, stir occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Add flour and stir 3 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil, stir constantly.
- Add squash and bay leaves, simmer until squash is very tender about 15 minutes.
- Blend in can of soup and whipping cream. Season to taste and remove bay leaves. Puree soup in blender.
- Before serving, add shrimp and heat on low. Pumpkin can be substituted for squash. Sprinkle with nutmeg.