Chicken Gyro Salad with Home Pita Chips, Watermelon and Feta
- Pita Chips
- 3 pita rounds, homemade or store bought
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, grated (optional)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- sea salt and pepper
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 red pepper
- 1 orange peper
- 2 cups watermelon chunks
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup kalamata olives or green olives or both, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 5 cups butter or romain lettuce, chopped
- 4-6 ounces feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large salad bowl (the one you want to serve the salad in) add the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, honey, oregano, basil, crushed red pepper (if using), salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Remove about ¼ cup of the dressing and place it in a large ziplock bag or a medium size bowl or baking dish. Add the chicken to the bag, bowl or dish and toss well. Place the chicken in the fridge for 20 minutes or up to overnight. Set the remaining dressing aside.
- While the chicken marinates make the pita chips. Cut pitas into 8 wedges (or more if your pitas are big). Pour olive oil into a bowl along with the garlic, oregano and paprika. Brush the pita chips with the olive oil and garlic mixture and then sprinkle with fresh sea salt and pepper. Arrange pita chips on baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the red and orange peppers for about 10 mins or until slightly charred, but still crisp. At the same time grill the chicken for a total of about 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove both from the grill and allow to cool 5 minutes. Then thinly slice the chicken and peppers.
- To the salad bowl with the dressing, add the peppers, tomatoes, olives, red onion and lettuce. Toss well and top with the chicken, watermelon chunks, feta cheese and pita chips. Eat!