Fig and Watermelon Chutney
Delicious with anything off the grill, this chutney also works with crusty bread as a nibbler on the table with cocktails or wine.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 5 pounds minced onions
- 6 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups brandy
- 10 cups chopped fresh or pitted dried figs
- 6 cups raisins
- 12 cups pureed watermelon
- 2 cups chopped fresh parsley leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan and in it sauté the onion and bell pepper for 3 or 4 minutes and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the brandy, figs and raisins to the pan, cook for a minute and then reduce heat to medium low and stir in the watermelon puree.
- Simmer gently until the raisins and figs are plump and tender.
- Add the parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.