- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist yellow cake mix
- 1 cup Pumpkin Puree
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 container (1 lb) Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy cream cheese frosting
- Caramel topping (if desired)
- Additional coarsely chopped pecans (if desired)
- Heat oven to 325˚F
- In 1 qt heavy saucepan, stir together butter, whipping cream and brown sugar.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, just until butter is melted. Pour into 2 ( 9-inch or 8 –inch) round cake pans; sprinkle with ¾ cup pecans.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, pumpkin, water, oil, eggs and 1 tsp of the pumpkin pie spice with electric mixer on low speed until moistened.
- Beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Carefully spoon batter over pecan mixture in each pan.
- Bake 43 to 45 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Stir remaining ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice into frosting.
- To assemble cake, place 1 layer, praline side up, on serving plate.
- Spread with half of the frosting.
- Top with second layer, praline side up; spread remaining frosting to edge of layer.
- Drizzle with caramel topping and additional pecan.