Roasted Hazelnut And Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 med. butternut squash (acorn squash or fresh pumpkin)
- 1 sm. onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ c. whole roasted hazelnuts (almonds, walnuts, or pecans)
- 1 qt. chicken broth
- 1 c. whipping cream
- White pepper
- Fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 c. dairy sour cream
- ¼ c. coarsely chopped roasted nuts
- Halve squash lengthwise; remove seeds. Place cut side up in shallow baking dish. Bake in 400 degree oven about 1 hour or until soft. Don’t add water. Scoop out pulp; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender. Stir in squash and ½ cup nuts. Stir in broth. Cook over medium low heat for 30 minutes.
- Transfer about ¼ of soup to blender container. Cover; blend smooth. Repeat with remaining soup. Return to saucepan. Stir in cream and season with some white pepper, nutmeg and salt. Bring just to boiling.
- Remove from heat. Season to taste. Ladle into bowls, topping with a dollop of sour cream and some of remaining nuts.