Roasted Pumpkins with Bacon & Brown Sugar
- 6 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and drained, drippings reserved
- (2) 2 to 4lb. pie pumpkins
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp. fennel seed, crushed
- 2 to 3 green onions, diagonally sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut off top ¼ of pumpkins. Remove seeds and strings; reserve ⅔ cup pumpkin seeds.
- Place pumpkins, cut side up, in foil-lined baking pan. Brush insides with some of the bacon drippings and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and brown sugar. Replace lids. Roast pumpkins in oven 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in skillet stir together pumpkin seeds, fennel seed, green onions, and remaining bacon drippings. Add skillet to oven during last 10 minutes of roasting.
- Remove pumpkins and seed mixture from oven. Sprinkle inside of pumpkins with seed mixture and crumbled bacon. To serve, use a large spoon to scoop out insides or use knife to cut into wedges.