Squash & Sausage Stuffed Veal Roast
A brisket-cut veal breast will, in most cases, require an advance order from your butcher. Ask the butcher to bone cut the breast for you.
- 4 lbs. boned brisket-cut (also called first-cut) veal breast, excess fat trimmed
- 5 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 c ½ in cubed butternut squash
- 2 T finely chopped shallot
- ½ t finely chopped thyme
- Fine Sea Salt
- ¾ lb pork sausage, removed from casings
- 1 lrg egg
- 2 T shelled, unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 T finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ c freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Grana Padano cheese
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 3 med carrots, peeled & roughly chopped
- 1 med onion, roughly chopped
- 1 c dry white wine
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: Kitchen String
- Substitute veal with round steak & season with:
- 2 tsp fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Mix together (like a rub) & rub on pounded steak
- Use mild breakfast sausage or spicy Italian sausage
- Use beef broth with wine for basting
- Use Metal Roasting Pan
- Heat oven to 350 with rack in middle.
- Spread veal open on a work surface & cover with plastic wrap & gently pound with a mallet to flatten slightly.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 T oil over med heat. Add squash, shallot & thyme & cook 1 min. Add ½ t salt & continue to cook, stirring occasionally until squash is cooked through but still firm, 2-3 min more. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine sausage, egg, nuts, parsley & cheese mix. Mix well to combine, the gently stir in squash mixture.
- Place veal on a work surface with one of the long edges facing you. Spread filling along edge facing you then roll up veal forming a tapered cylinder with meat overlapping at the seam. Tie at 1 inch intervals with kitchen string.
- Season veal all over with ½ tsp salt & place in large roasting pan, drizzle with remaining 2 T oil. Roast 45 min.
- Arrange celery, carrots & onion in pan around veal, the pour wine over veal. Continue to roast, basting veal with pan juices every 15 min until a meat thermometer inserted into center of meat registers 160 degrees, about 46 min more.
- Transfer veal to a cutting board and let rest 15 min before slicing. Discard string from roast, then slice roast in to ⅓ inch thick slices. Serve with pan juices and vegetables.