Yellow Squash Casserole
Author: Maria The Baseball Mom
- 3 medium yellow squash cut into ½ inch moons
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cups reduced-fat sour cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (Toast sour dough or French bread slices – day old bread or ends work great for this, let cool, make in the blender or food processor)
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350˚F.
- Lightly oil an 8 inch square baking dish.
- Bring the squash, onion, garlic, and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Cook stirring occasionally, until the broth evaporates and the squash is tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and cool slightly.
- Stir in the sour cream and oregano, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake until the juices are simmering and the top is crusty, about 30 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, serve hot.